Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My First Beauty Product Allergic Reaction

For as long as I've known my skin...I mean really known my skin (maybe the past 8-10 years), my face is pretty durable, whatever I put on will either work or not work...never cause any horrible madness.

So, I bought MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 last week, and after putting some on the back of my hand, I thought it would be good for me because it was a high SPF, and it applied pretty dry. I used it and I kinda liked what it did. It was a sunscreen that didn't feel too much like a sunscreen, in that it didn't have a super greasiness to it, but it does have a slight greasiness, not too much to grumble. I've been experimenting with a couple of other sunscreens, like the Neutrogena Liquid Moisturizer SPF 50 and a CVS one too, but they were too greasy that my face oiled up within an hour or two.

After my somewhat pleasure in this product, I started to notice that I was getting weird, small "pimples" around my mouth and my forehead was starting to look really bumpy, like it did when I was in high school. I didn't really think too much about it, but that I was weird because it isn't near my "time" of the month, and on top of that, mine was a couple of weeks ago, and that's when I really break out. Another weird thing was that the pimples by my mouth were really small, and like whiteheads, which I only get in larger pimples. I also had some right next to my lips that were more like clogged pores, which were really hard to extract (yes...I gouge them).

So after all these "weirdnesses" to my skin, I came across an article in beautylish (if you don't know about beautylish, here's my description) about some sunscreens causing allergic reactions. It also talked about how it's usually chemical sunscreens (that absorb UV rays) that will cause a reaction rather than physical ones (that reflect UV rays). However, this primer is actually part chemical (Octinoxate), and part physical (Zinc oxide). Anyway, it's probably too much of the Octinoxate, so I have since stopped using it and am using the Shiseido one that protects against environmental damage (the one I got as a sample in my last haul). My skin hasn't broken out since, so I am going to assume that it is either the amount of Octinoxate is too much for me, or there's something else in the product that I am allergic to, since there is Octinoxate in the Shiseido product I am using today.

My hunt for a high SPF primer/moisturizer (that doesn't leave my face a greaseball after an hour or two) continues!!

No comments:

Post a Comment